Here’s my list:
1. Stepping out of your comfort zone is necessary to grow.
2. No matter how many times you tell a dog not to eat horse shit, it will continue to eat shit.
3. Smartphones are cool.
4. I am not invincible.
5. Talent is not enough.
6. A combination of talent, persistence, innovation and luck are necessary to survive as an entrepreneur.
7. Being diverse is good.
8. Pizza will never go out of style.
10. Question those in charge.
11. Share, collaborate, but stick to your guns.
12. Personal time will always be more important than work.
13. Life is short so enjoy every moment.
14. Being a photographer is terrifying, fun, exhilarating and the only thing I can imagine myself doing right now.
I shot a ton of photography and video this year and as I look back through the images of the past 12 months I can see ways that I have changed as a photographer. I have changed yet I feel that the creative thread that holds my photographs together is present throughout. I hope you can see it too.
This year was pretty tough for us, but we still managed to keep going and continued to find new business while serving current clients. We shot for educational institutions, healthcare organizations, resorts, magazines, design firms, architects, beer companies and bands. We shot weddings and portraits while simultaneously rebranding that side of our business (which is still in progress). We did all of this while shooting personal work and learning video production. We even started producing video for clients in the end of 2010 and I’m looking forward to many more video projects in 2011. It’s been an interesting year full of ups and downs, but as we stand on the edge of 2011 I am excited and optimistic about the year ahead.
I hope all of you out there have a Happy and Healthy New Year!
What have you learned this year?
Favorite photos from 2010. Some of these are personal and some are for clients.